EXECUTIVE OFFICER (P5), STAP Secretary
UNEP is currently accepting applications for a new Secretary of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) located at the Washington DC duty station.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate the strategic engagement of STAP with the GEF Council, GEF Secretariat, GEF Agencies, the GEF Independent Evaluation Office, and as necessary, with other GEF stakeholders, to ensure the effective delivery and communication of STAP advice.
- Supervise the day-to-day functioning of the STAP Secretariat, including its management, coordination, and administrative support to the Panel and its implementation of the STAP Work Program.
- Ensure STAP Panel Members are apprised of strategic scientific and technical issues affecting GEF policies, operational strategies, and programs.
- Lead the mobilization of scientific and technical expertise that allows STAP to function as a conduit between the GEF and the scientific community at large.
- Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
Applicants are required to have an advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent), in natural, environmental or social sciences (e.g., law, sociology, or related fields), with specialization in global environmental issues, or resource management or economics. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Applicants must have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience in environmental science or policy, including seven (7) years of experience at the international level. Experience in interacting with the scientific community, at the highest levels of expertise, is also required.
For more detailed information, or to apply, please click here. Please note the closing date is 12 February 2023.